I know it is still summer here in Oz but we have been battling the latest nasty cold and flu virus in the house for a couple of weeks now. First E, then H and now Hubby. Touchwood I have escaped the same fate.
In an attempt to jam some veggies into us and clean out the fridge at the same time I (on a whim) made the below soup. I literally threw it together and made it up as I went. They have the potential to be the best meals don’t you think?
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 brown onion (chopped)
- 3 carrots (chopped)
- 1 brocoli stalk (chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 2 potatoes (chopped)
- 1 litre chicken stock
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup of french style lentils
- olive oil
- Fresh parsley (to serve) optional
- Red Chilli (deseeded and chopped to serve) optional
- Chop and prepare all the veggies. keep the onion and garlic to the side
- Heat a heavy based pot with a glug of olive oil in the bottom. When heated added the onion and garlic and sweat off. Keep stirring so it doesn’t burn.
- When the onion is translucent add the rest of the vegetable and stir. Stir for approx for 5 mins
- Add the chicken stock and stir.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer partially covered. Stirring occasionally
- Wash and rinse the lentils. Being sure to discard any misshapen ones.
- After 20 mins add the lentils to the mix and stir to combine. Add some water at this stage if you’re worried about the liquid content. Bring back to the boil then reduce back to a simmer for 20 mins
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh parsley, fresh hot chilli and fresh cracked pepper.
- Eat and Enjoy!
The fresh chilli, combined with the garlic and veggies will blow your socks off. It was a huge hit and even better the second day I’m told.