Despite loving makeup I am terribly inconsistent wearing it. Somedays with the kids I don’t put a skerrick on. Other times I go through a phase where I wear it a lot and most days I literally put on bronzer, mascara and a lip balm. The bronzer doubles as an eyeshadow too.
Anyway, on Monday I had a friend coming for morning tea and made a bit of an effort to look nice (as you do) and I thought I would time myself. I knew it didn’t take long but I wasn’t sure how long. So what you see in the after photo below literally took 4.5mins.
BEFORE & AFTER
1. Chanel Les Beiges $77.00 | 2. Benefit Bene Tint $55.00 | 3. Sephora Blush Brush (Bought in USA) | 4. Benefit Brow Pencil $39.00 |5. YSL Touche Eclat $57.00 | 6. Mac Bronzing Powder in Refined Golden $39.00
7. Nars Eyeshadow Duo in Kalahari $46.00 | 8. Chanel Eyeshadow Brush (Bought in USA but available in store at Chanel Beauty here) | 9. Mac Lip Pencil in Dervish $30.00 | 10. Chanel Waterproof Eyeliner $44.00 | 11. Benefit ‘They’re real‘ mascara $38.00 | 12. Lucas’ Pawpaw Ointment $4.99
Firstly, make sure your face is nicely moisturised as this will make everything go on smoother and you’ll look fresher.
1. Start with the Les Beiges. I apply it like a moisturiser and make sure it’s blended. Les Beiges is an all in one fluid… a moisturiser, foundation and sunscreen. It’s also quite illuminating which shows up in the after photo. (I should note here; I am not a foundation wearer. With the exception of having my makeup professionally done I never wear it. I just prefer a lighter feel of makeup and I guess I have been lucky that I have gotten away with it so far)
2. I then used the touche éclat under my eyes and on the eyelid up to the brow line. I LOVE this product and don’t know what I did before it. This product has cult status for a reason. Once you apply it blend it in with your finger tips (you can also use makeup sponges but in the interest of saving time and getting the job done I use my fingers)
3. Next I apply my bronzer with the blush brush. I put the bronzer on my brush and starting on your forehead to a double C sweep down the side of one face… from your forehead, around your temple down to the hollow of the cheek and in to just under the apple of your cheek then back out and down to your jaw line. Do this a couple of times on each side. I also do a quick sweep over the eyelids and under the eyes just to even out the skin a little.
4. Then I put my eyebrow pencil on. I have been using this pencil for years and absolutely swear by it. I have my Mother and Sister using it and they love it too. A great tip I was taught was to follow the upper line of your eyebrows and then blend with the brush. You can make your eyebrows look as full as you want. I also apply the pencil to the beginning of them as I have a chicken pox scar in the beginning of one so it needs to be filled in!
5. Next I applied a sweep of eyeshadow to the lids. I just used one colour. For me I used a bronze colour to bring out the green in my eyes. If I had more time I would use 2 to 3 colours and blend but this is about working with the time you have and making the most of it. One colour still looks great and does the job. If you wanted to spend a few more seconds you could use a light base colour over the lids and up to the brow bone and then apply your eyeshadow to the lid up to the crease but I have used the touch éclat as my base so just go straight for the colour on the lid. To finish off I also do a sweep of the brush on the lower lash line with the remaining shadow on the brush. This just puts a hint of colour down there without using a liner and adding too much definition and it takes no time to do.
6. Next I apply the eyeliner. From the moment I used this Chanel one I loved it. So easy to apply and it stays put. I know there are cheaper eyeliners on the market and I have several others I love… like Mac and Bobbi Brown but I find myself going for this one each time. It’s also a deep brown/bronze colour which is softer on the eyes too.
7. On with the mascara. My current favourite is They’re real by Benefit. It’s great and gives good lash. I just did a quick sweep on the lids. For more definition do a couple of swipes and you’re good to go.
8. Next I used the bene tint. I have been using this product for eons. Swipe a little on your lips for a pop of rosy pink and then on the apple of each cheek make a small cross. The whilst you smile blend the cross (with your fingers) into the apple of your cheek and blend along your cheekbone line.
9. Apply the lip pencil to your lips and finish with a swipe of pawpaw ointment. (random fact: I used this lip pencil on my wedding day)
10. You’re good to go and all of that took just 4.5 minutes!!
As you can see it’s an easy and natural look. Perfect for day time. For night I would add more eyes and swipe on a darker or brighter lipstick.
Do you have a quick and easy makeup routine? Any great products I need to know about? What are your favourites?